When you hire Harmony Haus, you’re doing more than improving your surroundings — you’re helping to reduce environmental waste and impact.
Here are just some of the methods we use to reduce, reuse and recycle, with your health and comfort in mind:
- All of our brushes are made from recycled or sustainably harvested materials, and roller covers are highly reusable without compromising quality.
- Drop cloths are made of canvas and are reusable.
- Painters tape is used sparingly, saving extra waste from going to landfills.
- We recommend wallpapers that are hand silk-screened on recycled paper with non-toxic dyes, and we only use non-toxic paste in applications. We also have expertise working with non-toxic wallpaper removal techniques.
- We purchase many products manufactured right here in Chicago, including drop cloths, work shirts, and Mythic paint, which contains no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Other low- or no-VOC paints and finishes we use include YOLO Colorhouse, C2 LoVo, Benjamin Moore Natura, Sherwin Williams Harmony, Green Planet Paints, and Vermont Natural Coatings.
- Additional materials, including no- and low-VOC caulks and non-toxic spackling compound, are standard. For the chemically sensitive, we use a natural, hypo-allergenic joint compound.
- Leftover paint is donated to community and civic groups (if the client chooses not to keep it). All finished paint cans are recycled.
No-VOC paint is a smart choice that contributes to a healthier indoor air quality and outdoor environment. The paints we use have incredible color palettes and are highly regarded by design experts. Best of all, they don’t stink up a room!
The stinky fumes that come from traditional latex and oil paints are the smells of different chemicals, none of which are good for you or the atmosphere. These chemicals can cause respiratory illness, headaches, nausea and are especially harmful to infants, children, the elderly and people with chemical sensitivities. When they evaporate, these chemicals become greenhouse gases.
By choosing a no-VOC paint, you won’t have to worry about these harmful additives in your home or business:
* Volatile Organic Compounds
* Chlorinated Ethanes
* Aromatic Solvents
* Phlorinated Ethylenes
* Polynuclear Aromatics
* Metals and their compounds